Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Blog About a Blog



….just sitting here typing my blog

Though I’ve read plenty of blogs before, I’ve never written one myself.  I’m going to use the opportunity to talk about life as a professor at Rockhurst, what I’m working on as a scholar, and I’ll throw in some thoughts on political issues of the day.  And if that’s not enough content I suppose I can brag about Kansas basketball.

…man I bet Madison is over there next door writing a masterpiece for his blog right now.

I’m about ready to walk over for my Political Leadership class at 220.  When I first took over teaching this course it was taught as a series of historical biographies ranging from Jesus Christ and Gandhi right up to current politicians.  What I’ve done to it is add in some theoretical information on leadership, to ground it; as well as work in some case study content.  That way it’s not all over the map.

…all over the map, I’ll tell you what’s all over the map is this damn blog entry.

So yesterday was Constitution Day, which Professor Chuck Moran and I celebrated in Sedgwick Hall.  He brought in Lamar’s Donuts and milk and the political science honors society, Pi Sigma Alpha, provided pizza and soda.  We watched the Mel Gibson movie the Patriot, also Dr. Moran’s.  Turnout was pretty solid and it was a good excuse to eat free food.

…holy cooooooow, could they have not found a louder lawnmower. 

Monday we hosted the Chilean Ambassador to the OAS, Dario Paya, in the Science Center.  It was a lovely event with many students turning out to hear what he had to say.  He was a great speaker, and told stories to get his point across.  He compared his smaller nation’s economy to a fly in a jumbo jet.  The fly might be moving south, but the jet is rushing him north anyway. 

Anyway, after a couple of late evenings on campus, tonight I’m happy to be going to the Royals game and taking it easy. 

1 comment: