Monday, October 28, 2013

Celebrate the Fall



Studies have shown that Fall is the best time of year.  I’m not 100% sure of these studies existence, but academics have by now successfully proven everyone’s point of view to be true, so I’m sure they are out there.  Google it.

In Fall, "The King of Seasons" (I'm sure someone has written), the leaves on the trees turn beautiful red and gold colors, KU basketball starts, Royals baseball ends, and because my birthday is October 15, I get cupcake and presents. 

On a professional level, courses have unfolded and like an old shoe have been comfortably settled into.  Maybe an old shoe isn’t the best metaphor for a college course.  How about, a cozy cardigan?
 
Fall Break two years ago I was with the Pikes in upper Michigan chopping down trees.  They told me, before I left, that this was for charity.  During the trip we did charitable things, but we also played Wiffle Ball and laughed a lot. I will long remember the guy who took his kitchen door off so he could shoot deer while he washed his dishes.




Last year over Fall Break I participated in the first Rockhurst Urban Immersion service trip.  It was kind of like a “stay-cation,” but with more housework.  Here’s a photo of the group:




 

I also need to publicize this picture of Paul Hess, now a senior.  He has a built in genetic feature to climb to the tallest place in a room, like a monkey.  I’m not sure if this is to avoid predators or gather food.  Notice someone else taking a picture of him; see, it’s not just me that found this amazing.




This fall break I spent time with my kids.  My oldest son, Alex, was recently diagnosed as having Type I diabetes, so it was great to spend some time with him just goofing around.  Here’s a picture of Alex with his friend Stetson:




Alex is the one on the right.  The boy on the right I mean.  Man I suck at captions.

No matter how you spent your time over this past weekend, I hope you get a chance to do what you love and enjoy the outdoors before the snow starts flying.  Students welcome back and time to dig into those research papers!!!  Happy Fall!

No comments:

Post a Comment